Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: WTF ? Second blown gasket on Kami header

  1. #1
    Inactive Member The LS Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2000
    Posts
    417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First one was the ghetto paper one that came with it, I shoulda known better than to put it on in the first place. But get this: In april I replaced it with a aluminum one, and now that one is blown out ! My exhaust now has a fffrfrfrffftttrtrtrtt sound to it like a V8 with bad lifters hehe

    So what do ya think ? Making too much madd horsepower ? Kind of annoying if ya ask me.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your only on your 2nd one? I think i went through a total of 9 before i ditched the shit......excellent design, dont you think? [img]frown.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm on my third gasket since I put the kami in 600 miles ago. The original one blew out. The paper replacement blew out after all the nuts came loose. Now I has one of those "better" rubber gaskets on with lock washers on the nuts. No problem so far...

    BTW: My Kami has a support bracket welded on. We'll see how long this latest gasket lasts.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Batoutahell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2000
    Posts
    356
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I blew out 4 paper gaskets. Then I tried a thin copper gasket, but it didn't seal well enough. Now I'm using aluminum gaskets, and they're awesome. They're 3x thicker than the copper gasket I tried, and I can't imagine how these could blow out. They're made by FlowTech, 2605 W. 1st St., Tempe, AZ 85281 (602) 966-1511. I'm so impressed with them, I almost wrote a "satisfied customer" letter to the manufacturer, and that's pretty giddy for me. The 3" gasket is part # 10025FLT, and the 2.5" gasket is part # 10024FLT. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member The LS Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2000
    Posts
    417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yep, thats what I got, an aluminum one (came in a two-pack, hmmm foreshadowing ?) it was aluminum plate (about 2-3 mm thick) with what looks like double-face foam tape on it. The metal itself is actually appears blown out (the thinnest portion in the middle of each span)

    I had heard about copper ones as being the cure-all, but I guess not :| Hmmm

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Jay Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2000
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aren't the flanges kind of flimsy on those? I bought one used (at a price I couldn't pass) and noticed the flanges were bent where the bolts press on them, such that light shows through flanges. I'm planning to take it to a shop and either reinforce the existing flanges or have new thicker ones put on.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i used copper, aluminum, paper.........nothing worked on my car. I even had all 3 motor mount inserts in and the damn thing still popped on the backside, the side in front of the block. Installed a DC 421 "ONE PIECE" header, solved everything and gained bottom end power.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Max has the right idea...
    Take that POS Kazi out and replace it with a DC one piece 4-2-1 !!! Your gasket worries will be over.
    The quality is far superior and there is NO evidence that the Kazi performs any better than the DC. The truth is that they are really tit-for-tat.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i go through a gasket every 5-6 weeks on average. i can change lift the car, get the old one out, new one in, and have it back on the ground in like 12 minutes or so now. I'm not necessarily good at it, I've just done it SO SO SO many times.

    I'm having my kami header welded solid next week. i'm DONE dealing with this. I'm also going to put a support bracket on. out of curiousity, where should the bracket bolt to?

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    The original front support location between the A/C compressor and the header... low on the block just above the oil pan lip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •